Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sketchbooks & New Materials

It's always a joy to open up a box containing new art materials such as brushes, paints, paper etc.,
I just received a package yesterday and dove into it, ready to have some fun!
For years I have basically used a 2b pencil for most of my sketching and drawing. However, I just
got into using an H and I have to tell you I was amazed how this little change altered my approach.
It just feels good.
Shown here are various pages from my sketchbook. Some are done with the H pencil and others are brush and ink sketches which I use as an exercise to loosen up each day.

The one titled "New People" was just some random sketching done on a page. I then inked it and colored it in photoshop and made a mock book cover which I just might use. Not sure yet.

Also shown is a recent cover I did in ink and watercolor for The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. Thanks Nina for the art direction!
Please click on images to enlarge.







1 comment:

  1. Nice stuff, man you really do draw a lot -- shame on me! I have long followed a process of H or HB 5mm mechanical leads for loose ideas, refine with a nice 2 pencil. used to buy art store pencils but find Ticonderogas just fine, really -at a tenth of the cost.

    ReplyDelete